Aston Replay allows staff to record their teaching sessions, or flip the classroom to record content to distribute to students advance. Registered students can then search and replay sections to enhance understanding and review for revision purposes. Replay is available in the majority of pool teaching rooms.
The benefits of Replay are highlighted in this short video by Aston’s HEA National Teaching Fellow Dr Peter Reddy. They include;
- Authenticated on-line access to recordings
- Slides searchable by key word in individual recordings, whole modules or across all sessions the student can view.
- Facility to add notes and share with other students within their cohort *
- Lectures available as podcasts *
* subject to tutor approval
- Non-intrusive recording of lectures
- Links to Blackboard course to minimise administration
- Minute-by-minute viewing statistics highlight areas of student interest
- Reduces post-lecture student requests for clarification
How do I use it?
The simplest way is to look in the Blackboard course for your module. If you see a link named Aston Replay or Recorded Lectures you’ll find your sessions there.
You can get more out of Aston Replay by logging into replay.aston.ac.uk where you’ll be able to search for text across all of your sessions, bookmark points in a session to refer back to.
Before you do anything, you’ll need to provision your Blackboard course. This sets you up with somewhere to record to.
Where can I get help?
Your first point of contact should be your lecturer.
If you’re having technical problems with Replay, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Email email@example.com for one to one help and to discuss any training requirements.
So what’s Panopto then?
Aston Replay is the name of our lecture capture service; The software behind this is called Panopto Focus. At Aston, mention of Panopto and Aston Replay can be considered as the same thing.